Once again I’ve been doing some curating and reorganizing of my craft supplies. Things that made it through previous clean-ups but have remained untouched since, needed to be pulled from drawers and redistributed. Stuff that I “might use someday” needed to make room for the stuff I’m using now!
I haven’t completed the project, but I did give away a bin of stuff I wasn’t using to a friend who volunteers doing art projects with kids. Little-used stamp sets went to friends who are grade school teachers who will use them in their classrooms. It feels great to give things to someone who will use and enjoy them.
I’m constantly acquiring supplies. Either I go to paper or art supply stores, or a craft class and pick up some of this and some of that for the project we’re doing in class or I’m working on something specific and need just the right (fill in the blank: fabric, glitter, paint, etc.). Once the project is over, I’m left with pom poms or pipe cleaners or the end of a pack of paper in a color or design I don’t really like.
However, cleaning and re-organizing aren’t the same as crafting. I needed to set aside that job and make something!
I unearthed colorful cotton and felt fabric left over from a fun Christmas project. I created a bunch of flowers out of felt. I made a template and used chalk to trace the shape onto different colors of felt. This was very similar to making the Felt Shamrock Garland I just made for St. Patrick’s Day.
I used some small pieces of felt to make flower centers. Some green felt made leaves and stems, and buttons finished off each flower I stuck the pieces together with Aileen’s tacky glue, a Tombow adhesive tape runner, and sticky glue dots. The Tombow proved to be more frustrating than helpful.
My original plan was to hang this on the door like the St. Patrick’s Day garland. But shamrocks made out of felt look the same on either side and the flowers didn’t. So, borrowing another idea from another recent holiday door decor project, I bent a wire coat hanger into a circle, then used strips of printed green cotton fabric to wrap the flower garland onto the wire hanger!
I knotted the fabric at the top of the coat hanger, right under the hook then wrapped a few times around the wire before wrapping on either side of the flower garland. In between each flower, I would wrap the wire. When I got to the end of a fabric strip, I would just tie a knot to attach the next strip.
This is the back of the wreath and you can see the knot is hidden by the flowers.
I made this in steps over a few evenings and didn’t spend that much time on it. I wanted something cheerful on the door and this was a fun little project.
Thank you for stopping by.